Monday, March 26, 2012

Real Steel

Real Steel


                My review for today is over the 2011 fighting robot movie Real Steel.  The story is set in the near future where robots have replaced humans inside of the boxing ring.  The main character of the movie is former boxer turned small time promoter Charlie Kenton, played by Hugh Jackman.  The story goes that Kent gets stuck with his unwanted son when the boy’s mother dies.  The two do not get along at first but quickly bond over Atom the fighting robot that they find in junkyard while scrounging for parts.  Atom learns how to box from Charlie and quickly works his way from back alley fights into the pro circuit even earning a title shot. 
                I liked this movie alright the robot fighting was cool, but I thought at times the father son bonding was a little over the top, and the dance scene I felt was just slightly unnecessary.  (Yeah you read that right I wrote the dance scene)I won’t go into details about the scene but you will probably have the same reaction that I had.  I understand that they have to have the side story to draw a bigger audience but I thought it was all pretty cliché and they poured the sappiness on a little bit thick.  The special effects were good and the robots and the fighting didn’t look fake like it could have.  .  The acting was fine but in a movie like this the acting does not have to be Oscar caliber, the actors played their roles well enough but it was nothing special.
                Overall I enjoyed the story as a whole but I was mostly in it for the giant robots fighting so that was the parts that I liked the most.  The movie does appeal to a fairly wide audience my wife even liked it mostly for the story and not the robots, but any movie that we both like cannot be too bad.

I give real steel 3 out of 5 paw prints.



The next movie I will be reviewing is the current box office champ The Hunger Games.

And as always “you don’t have to go home, but you have to get the hell out of here!”

No comments:

Post a Comment