Monday, March 26, 2012

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games


                The Hunger Games is the movie based on the hit book of the same name by Suzanne Collins.  The story is set in the future when all that is left of the North America is twelve districts and a Capitol which is all now called Panem.  74 years before our story begins there were 13 districts and they revolted against the capitol and lost.  District 13 was wiped off the map and as reminder every year 1 boy and girl between the ages 12 and 18 are taking from each district every year to compete in a brutal fight to the death called the hunger games.  The movie begins on reaping day and follows our heroine, Katniss Everdeen, played by the very talented Jennifer Lawrence, from the moment she volunteers for the games to save her sister up through all of time spent preparing and fighting in the games. 
                The movie was amazing and I am very happy to say that it lived up to all of my expectations.  I was very happy with the fact that it followed the book very closely and while it did leave out a few things and some other parts were sped up for time’s sake it remained close to the book and all of the changes were things I can live with.  It was definitely better than some other book adaptations that I have seen lately were they changed huge parts or left things out entirely.  Since I had read the books I know the story pretty well.  But I do not feel like you had to read the books to understand what was going on in the movie,  although I would highly recommend the entire trilogy if you are looking for something good to read.   The acting was solid throughout the entire movie and I felt like every single character was cast well and that they really held true to what I pictured the characters looking like from the book.  Aside from Jennifer Lawrence the other actors/actresses of note in the movie were Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, Liam Hemsworth as Gale, Elizabeth Banks as Effie, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickman, and Donald Sutherland as President Snow.     
                I absolutely loved this movie and would highly recommend it to anyone male or female above the age of 13.  I do feel that the subject matter was too mature for young children but the violence was handled very tastefully and the story is just amazing.

I give the hunger games a perfect 5 out of 5 paw prints.


My next review will be Dreamworks most recent animated family film Puss in Boots.

And now as always, “You don’t have to go home, but you have the get the hell out of here!”

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the movie did a great job of staying true to the book. If it could have been 8 hours long, it would have been perfect! ha... I must say that I disagree with you about casting, however. I was not very pleased with the fact that Peeta and Cato's characters looked EXACTLY alike mius a few inches and some muscles... I literally couldn't tell them apart during their fight scene at the end. Not that Cato's character wasn't good, the two just looked too similar for me. The verdict is still out on Lenny Kravitz at Cinna...I'll give you my opinion after Catching Fire!

    ReplyDelete